Author Topic: Airplanes, how do they work?  (Read 1927 times)  Share 

Offline SDGrad

• White Tail
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • SDGrad barely matters.SDGrad barely matters.
Re: Airplanes, how do they work?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 08:50:50 AM »
You guys are slipping. I had to laugh that some posters here are just as dumb if not dumber than Romney. Oxygen in a fire....brilliant thinking.

Offline SDGrad

• White Tail
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 08:51:41 AM »

ahhhh....Had to deflect and go off topic because you just couldn't cut it....

Offline Autobubbs

• White Tail
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Autobubbs has an aura about them.Autobubbs has an aura about them.Autobubbs has an aura about them.Autobubbs has an aura about them.Autobubbs has an aura about them.Autobubbs has an aura about them.Autobubbs has an aura about them.Autobubbs has an aura about them.Autobubbs has an aura about them.Autobubbs has an aura about them.
  • Unrepentant Otaku
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:29 AM »
To the libs, this is news.

Not really, no.  At least not to all of us.

On the other hand, if Obama left the toilet seat up, the Cons on here would be freaking out.
"If any man tells you he loves America but hates Labor, he is a liar"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline SDGrad

• White Tail
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »
Not really, no.  At least not to all of us.

On the other hand, if Obama left the toilet seat up, the Cons on here would be freaking out.

Obama always puts the toilet seat down because it reminds him of his bears.

Offline winnar

• I aim to misbehave.
  • Global Moderator
  • Elk
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!
  • Entire team is babies!
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
You guys are slipping. I had to laugh that some posters here are just as dumb if not dumber than Romney. Oxygen in a fire....brilliant thinking.

I know I would want to fill and airplane with oxygen if it was on fire.

The only person slipping is you, my friend.

If it's just smoke on an airplane, the airplane is already full of oxygen. Dropping masks won't make a difference.

Offline winnar

• I aim to misbehave.
  • Global Moderator
  • Elk
  • winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!winnar is leading the good life!
  • Entire team is babies!

Offline SilentBob

• Think'n out Loud
  • Bison
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • SilentBob doesn't kiss and tell.
  • That's think'n with your dipstick
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »

If it's just smoke on an airplane, the airplane is already full of oxygen. Dropping masks won't make a difference.
What if it's snakes on a plane?
Disclaimer #1: My posts are based on my opinion.
Disclaimer #2: I am the world's greatest authority on my own opinion.
Disclaimer #3: Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Disclaimer #4:  I am the Official Pot Stirrer, sorry if you're offended (no, not really).

Offline winnar

• I aim to misbehave.
  • Global Moderator
  • Elk
  • Entire team is babies!
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 12:23:47 PM »
What if it's snakes on a plane?

Then you call in Samuel L Jackson. And make a really awful movie about the incident.

Offline SDGrad

• White Tail
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 01:07:12 PM »

why don't you go research flash fires on planes. Just simply opening the door to rescue the passengers has caused them to explode. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Even the smallest ember can turn deadly if you give it some fuel to burn.

Consider as an example Air Canada Flight 797. This flight had a slow smouldering fire that started under the rear lavatory. The cabin filled with smoke. The pilots managed to make an emergency landing despite the smoke and losing electrical power and most of their flight instruments. When the doors were opened to let the passengers out, the sudden influx of oxygen caused a flashover that turned the cabin into an inferno.

I bet they would have had a better outcome had they released the oxygen masks before landing..... :rolleyes:

Offline Warlord

• Coyote
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Warlord is a rising star!Warlord is a rising star!Warlord is a rising star!Warlord is a rising star!Warlord is a rising star!Warlord is a rising star!
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 01:08:46 PM »
Obama always puts the toilet seat down because it reminds him of his bears.

that's not funny and I'll bet the Bears beat the Seahawks  ;D

Offline winnar

• I aim to misbehave.
  • Global Moderator
  • Elk
  • Entire team is babies!
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
why don't you go research flash fires on planes. Just simply opening the door to rescue the passengers has caused them to explode. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Even the smallest ember can turn deadly if you give it some fuel to burn.

I bet they would have had a better outcome had they released the oxygen masks before landing..... :rolleyes:

I hope you don't think that when the masks drop down they're automatically activated and tons of oxygen just start pouring out of them... you would be wrong. If that was the case it would be very expensive for airlines due to turbulence randomly making the bags drop down. You have to pull down on the mask before they're activated. Many of them have a re-breather bag that would limit the amount of oxygen that is released for these type of scenarios.

Dropping masks =/= opening a door.

I had a talk to a friend of mine who is a pilot and engineers the doors on airplanes. He said it's pilot preference. If there is a visible flame they generally will not drop masks, if it's just a lot of smoke they will.

Offline SDGrad

• White Tail
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »
I hope you don't think that when the masks drop down they're automatically activated and tons of oxygen just start pouring out of them... you would be wrong. If that was the case it would be very expensive for airlines due to turbulence randomly making the bags drop down. You have to pull down on the mask before they're activated. Many of them have a re-breather bag that would limit the amount of oxygen that is released for these type of scenarios.

Dropping masks =/= opening a door.

I had a talk to a friend of mine who is a pilot and engineers the doors on airplanes. He said it's pilot preference. If there is a visible flame they generally will not drop masks, if it's just a lot of smoke they will.

It's not the masks they worry about, it's the fact that the system could be compromised and you just turned a small fire into a bomb. There is a line running to each of those masks which could be already on fire within the walls of the plane. Your pilot friend is right about it being the pilots choice, but they won't drop the masks unless it is a last ditch effort, in which case you are already dead and don't even know it. The key is to get to the ground. The masks can actually give passengers a safe feeling when really they are just dying faster. In a smokey cabin, the air on the floor is going to be better than what is coming out of that mask. The mask may contain more oxygen, but it can also contain more contaminates.

Doors don't equal masks, but physics tells me a fire will go nuts if you provide it a fuel source it does not have. It comes down to risking the deaths of a few passengers who suffocate or possibly killing everyone. Take your pick.

Offline Drudger

• Elk
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Drudger has great potential!Drudger has great potential!Drudger has great potential!Drudger has great potential!Drudger has great potential!Drudger has great potential!Drudger has great potential!Drudger has great potential!Drudger has great potential!
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »
Dumbest thread yet.

Offline SDGrad

• White Tail
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 02:20:03 PM »
Dumbest thread yet.

my thoughts exactly

Offline Brotsky

• I Eat
  • Elk
  • Reputation Power: 42
  • Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
There is a line running to each of those masks which could be already on fire within the walls of the plane.

I just want to clear this up.....There is no line running anywhere on these masks anymore on newer aircraft.  The only line is run from the mask you place over your face to the small oxygen generator in the ceiling of the aircraft.  The oxygen is actually generated for the mask through a chemical reaction.  The chemical reaction produces a nasty odor that smells like something burning.  Having the pleasant experience of having my plane depressurize at 26,000' on the way to Chicago a few years ago due to a bad door seal let me experience how they work first hand.  Not a good thing.  Older aircraft were hard plumbed so to speak in the way you described.  The newer ones the mask drops and you have to yank on it to initiate the chemical reaction in the oxygen generator and initiate the flow.
"Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life."  -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Atlas Twinkies

• Global Moderator
  • Elk
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Atlas Twinkies is leading the good life!Atlas Twinkies is leading the good life!Atlas Twinkies is leading the good life!Atlas Twinkies is leading the good life!Atlas Twinkies is leading the good life!Atlas Twinkies is leading the good life!Atlas Twinkies is leading the good life!Atlas Twinkies is leading the good life!Atlas Twinkies is leading the good life!Atlas Twinkies is leading the good life!Atlas Twinkies is leading the good life!
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 02:27:43 PM »
Global Moderator Comment OT
GOD'S NOT DEAD!

Offline SDGrad

• White Tail
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 02:28:34 PM »
I just want to clear this up.....There is no line running anywhere on these masks anymore on newer aircraft.  The only line is run from the mask you place over your face to the small oxygen generator in the ceiling of the aircraft.  The oxygen is actually generated for the mask through a chemical reaction.  The chemical reaction produces a nasty odor that smells like something burning.  Having the pleasant experience of having my plane depressurize at 26,000' on the way to Chicago a few years ago due to a bad door seal let me experience how they work first hand.  Not a good thing.  Older aircraft were hard plumbed so to speak in the way you described.  The newer ones the mask drops and you have to yank on it to initiate the chemical reaction in the oxygen generator and initiate the flow.

that still doesn't make me feel better about introducing oxygen to a smoldering fire.....and the NTSB agrees in the case of a fire. Your best bet is to find the source, otherwise you are F***ed. Fire on a plane at flying altitude is just a step above the wings falling off.

Offline winnar

• I aim to misbehave.
  • Global Moderator
  • Elk
  • Entire team is babies!
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
Can we all just agree that having windows that could be opened on an airplane is a terrible idea? And Mitt doesn't know shit about airplanes?

Offline Brotsky

• I Eat
  • Elk
  • Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!Brotsky is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »
that still doesn't make me feel better about introducing oxygen to a smoldering fire.....and the NTSB agrees in the case of a fire. Your best bet is to find the source, otherwise you are F***ed. Fire on a plane at flying altitude is just a step above the wings falling off.

Agreed, just pointing out how the masks work now. 
"Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life."  -George Bernard Shaw

Offline SDGrad

• White Tail
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »
Can we all just agree that having windows that could be opened on an airplane is a terrible idea? And Mitt doesn't know shit about airplanes?

IMO, you are making a stink about nothing, in order to try to degrade Mitt. Keep distracting and maybe no one will talk about the economy or jobs. You should have left this one for JT to post.

Offline SilentBob

• Think'n out Loud
  • Bison
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »
I'm surprised the TSA still allows masks, just how would they be able to identify a terrorist if everyone has a mask on?
Disclaimer #4:  I am the Official Pot Stirrer, sorry if you're offended (no, not really).

Offline SDGrad

• White Tail
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 02:39:35 PM »

I wonder if these systems also utilize cabin air still, which was one of the main reasons cited for not using the masks.

Offline Brotsky

• I Eat
  • Elk
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 02:41:25 PM »
I'm surprised the TSA still allows masks, just how would they be able to identify a terrorist if everyone has a mask on?

Look for the guy with the towel on his head instead of on his mouth....

Offline SilentBob

• Think'n out Loud
  • Bison
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »
I wonder if these systems also utilize cabin air still, which was one of the main reasons cited for not using the masks.
I think they work like the OBA's we used in the navy for firefighting.  The CO2 you exhale is what causes the chemical reaction that creates the oxygen, it's all self contained.

Offline Brotsky

• I Eat
  • Elk
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 02:42:25 PM »

Couldn't tell you for sure.  I just know it was a little pod thing in the ceiling that gave off a bad smell like something burning due to the reaction.